Dr. Helen’s Dental & Implant Studio is a full-service dental surgery in Prahran East, Victoria. While she serves everyone in the community, the practice has gained a large vegan patient base because Dr. Helen strives to make her practice as minimally-harmful to not only her patients but to animals, too!
She uses non-animal derived products where available. For instance:
• Using human donor bone in bone grafting surgeries
• Working with a pharmacist who uses non-gelatine capsules for compounding
• Avoiding the use of ‘catgut’ or sutures, which are porcine or bovine-based
• Reducing waste by using an amalgam-retaining suction that stops harmful metals from entering the water supply
• Using a heat-based sterilisation product for metal instruments instead of disposable plastic materials
• Urging a plant-based diet during nutrition consults for optimum dental health
• Electing to use models instead of the commonly-used pig jaws in surgery training
It’s worth mention that Dr. Helen also offers plant-based milks for tea and coffees in the practice and sugar-free vegan chocolate for a little treat after check-ups!